Thursday, May 26, 2011

The OR and a great chair

Last Saturday my (Patrick) class had an Operating Room workshop.  We were fortunate to have one of the OR suites reserved for our entire class of 27 plus three instructors - a huge group of people in a room made for 5 people + patient. Also a long wait at the scrub sinks outside the room, where we all "scrubbed in" for 10minutes a piece (first time for me). Some of my classmates have had experience in the OR before, as nurses and technicians, and I could tell there was a bit of nervousness and excitement, maybe from remembering some past experiences.
Our instructor Robert was great, letting us in on the "do's and don'ts" of the OR. This is not a place to touch what you're not supposed too or pull rank on anyone. Like Robert said, the operating room teams are like a "closed" family - they don't take to outsiders easily, so do only what you know you can do, and don't act like an idiot. Also, this is probably the cleanest (and coolest) we'll ever be in an OR again!

Patrick's in back on the far left looking right at the camera.



Patrick's in the back row, in the middle


And while Patrick was doing that, I (Nikki) was (dreaming of) buying this:

Eames® Molded Plywood Dining Chair, DCM
Image courtesy of Design Within Reach


Marissa and I packed up the kiddos, grabbed a coffee and met her mom and grandma at the Two Women Barn Bazaar out in Spangle.  We are hoping to be a vendor in a similar show this summer or fall, so we decided to go on a "scouting trip." :)  You know, to see what other people are charging, selling and how they're displaying. :)  So, trying to be frugally responsible, I only took $20.  Apart from an old flour sack ($1!) I bought nothing. But I fell in love.  With an authentic Herman Miller Eames DCM Dining Chair. For $40!!!! (Sidenote: I love Herman Miller and I love modern chairs. I even got to go to the HM factory in Michigan a few years ago and fell even more in love with Eames and other classic designers. Yes, I'm weird about chairs as my brother so kindly pointed out.  We dream of owning one of these one day and fight over who's chair it will be.  http://www.hermanmiller.com/Products/Eames-Lounge-Chair-and-Ottoman As if that's a real fight.) So there I am with not enough cash and a baby shower I need to get home and get ready for. So I can't go back and I just know the chair will be gone by the next day.  Enter my super-amazing-fantastic-one-of-a-kind hubby.  He went and bought the chair for me while I was at the shower. Isn't he great?!  I know I seem crazy for going on about chair, but it inspires me and makes me happy.  I think sometimes God gives us little gifts of happiness. Not because we deserve it, but because he delights in us. :)  Here's where it may go:



No comments: