Thursday, June 6, 2013

Ais Update 6/6

Ais is making good progress today. They held off on weaning her from meds today - she was showing a lot of withdrawals last night and this morning so they gave her the "day off". She had a little physical therapy and speech therapy (they worked on suck/swallow reflex and confirmed she is able to do it).Overall a pretty good day, she was more alert than ever before. I got to hold her again and have some great bonding time. :)

I started playing with her owl, giving her kisses and playing peek-a-boo. She was totally tracking with me and loving it and then she started GIGGLING! It was the sweetest sound I have heard in a long time. Totally unexpected, such a gift. She is doing so well neurologically!

With the good developments today, I found myself overwhelmed at the journey we have ahead of us. Because she was ventilated and sedated for 9 days, she has a ways to go regarding things like sitting up on her own and eating on her own. Not to mention any effects from the cyst and strokes she had. Even when we (finally!) get to come home, I think we will have our work cut out for us. But as always, we need to focus on one day at a time and count our blessings for that day.


When I woke up this morning, it was clear that Ronan needed extra mommy time today. At that point I made the decision the he actually needed me more than she did, so we spent the morning at the park. It was so beautiful outside and so wonderful to spend some "normal" time with him.



After the park, he got to spend the afternoon with Greyson again. Aren't they so stinkin' cute?

love this picture Marisa!
We had dinner together as a family and then all visited Aisi again before bedtime. Ro had a short and sweet visit where he proclaimed, "that's my baby sister." I think it was good for him to see her again today and hopefully we'll be able to make that happen each day.

Praises for Today
-giggles, hand holding, and great interactions with Aislinn. I can't wait to see what tomorrow holds!
-I forgot to mention this yesterday, but for the last few shifts, Aislinn's nurse has had another patient! This seems like a silly praise, but we are so happy she no longer has a 1:1 ratio, she's 1:2. This means that she is doing well enough to not need constant attention and that is such a good thing. For a few days last week, her poor nurse could hardly leave the bedside, much less the room.

Prayers
-Aislinn's respiratory rate is still high. The medical staff assures us that this is pretty normal when going through withdrawals. That said, we're concerned and would like to see it closer to a normal level
-Her CT is tomorrow. Pray we get the go-ahead from the surgeon. I have to admit, I'm not feeling very optimistic, but for no particular reason. I guess I just hate to get my hopes up again...
-Aislinn had a bit of a fever again today. It is most likely associated with her withdrawals, but nonetheless, it needs to go away! Please Pray for no fever over the next few days
-Pray for Aislinn as she goes through withdrawals. It's tough on her body, but her medical team has a great plan of action to help it go smoothly and hopefully not too painfully
-I personally need prayer for strength and endurance. I'm sure Patrick does as well. I feel very weary at the end of today, realizing we're heading into day 12 at the ICU and not knowing when we'll be coming home. It's a little overwhelming....

 I've said it before, but I have to say it again because I truly mean it: Thank you all for your prayers and support. Patrick says thank you as well. I absolutely believe that Aislinn is doing so well because of your prayers. And now I must go to bed. :)




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good to see her sucking on an ordinary binky! Her eyes look bright and alert :) Nikki, it is so good to see the photos you're posting. It's hard sometimes to be so far away. Thank you for that, in the midst of all you have on your mind. We love you! Erin & Tim

Ais_GNANA said...

Thank you, Nikki, your post have been a God send for us...lyg

bill said...

Thank you for the updates. They help us to know how to pray--for all 4 of you. Love you all.